Linux Administration for Beginners
8 000 UAH2 weeks 4 lesson
10:00 - 17:00
Start of the courseDetails need to be clarified
Here we will go through the ABC’s of system administration. It is suitable even for those who haven’t worked with Linux before.
During the course, we work with Debian distribution, and at the same time we will install and configure CentOS components using our knowledge base. As a result, we will learn how to work with two systems.
What do you need to take the course?
Desire to learn and good internet. Everyone can discover Linux 😊
VirtualBox, network modes. Linux OS installation.
Explanation of what are IP addresses, NAT translator, bridge mode connection, internal network.
Debian and CentOS installation, manual disk partitioning.
Why do you need LVM. Manual partition with and without LVM.
System access, text editorsLecture 2
Access to the system, network configuration. SSH protocol and its software implementations for connecting and managing the server. Change of system rights, su, sudo utilities. What is shell and types of system shells: sh, bash, zsh, tcsh, csh, ash, dash.
NAT, port forwarding. Switching network modes problem solution.
Command line configuration (shell, prompt), vimrc, profile, bash.rc. Access to the system, text editors.
File system, system management commandsLecture 4
Virtual file system — VFS. Linux file structure. Absolute and relative paths. Command line commands for managing files and getting lists: pwd, cd, mkdir, touch, cp, ls, rm, less, more, head, tail, cat, grep, scp.Practical lesson 3
Creation of a directory tree, search in the file system, filter of the output.
System of rights, users, groups. Installation of packages on the systemLecture 6
System of rights; affiliations, users, groups. System user management commands: adduser, useradd, addgroup, userdel, usermod, groupmod, passwd, chmod, chown, chgrp.
Symbolic and digital assignment of rights to files and directories.
Practicing complex skills. Answers on questions.
Final examTest on all topics of the course
3 attempts to complete it, 60 minutes each.
Project workSetting up a new server
Creating a directory tree, configuring SSH access. Creation of users, groups, correctly granting them access rights to the server. User environment settings. Installation of packages in the system according to the technical task.
Have you already seen our courses?
You will definitely find what you need 😊
At the end of the course the student will know
- what virtualization is for, what types of virtualization exist and where they are used
- a list of the main parent distributions currently used in practice
- what is shell and why the graphical interface is almost never used in system administration
- types of text editors
- what is a virtual file system and why is it needed
- why are repositories needed and how to configure them
- what is a package manager, their types and which of them are most often used in practice
At the end of the course the student will be able to
- install a virtualization system for installing Linux
- install Linux distributions with automatic and manual disk partitioning
- distinguish between full and relative paths when working with a virtual file system
- use the basic commands of the virtual file system
- create a directory tree and manage files from the command line
- create and modify Linux user accounts
- set and change permissions for files and directories
- create a list of repositories for installing programs
- use package managers and manage packages from the command line